Home remodeling can be pretty exciting, especially when you just received your loan or your much awaited paycheck. You’ll then be thinking about lots of stylish designs that can bring life to your old home.
However, that fantasy won’t last long. You’ll be then bombarded with those expensive cost of materials paired with labor fee for the workers. And you’ll soon find out that you’re already empty handed without even noticing it.
But you don’t need to worry. There are lots of ways to remodel your home without spending too much on it. A little bit of proper planning and smart choosing is all you need. If you’re thinking about fancy design goals for your home, altering them for a little bit can really save you a lot of cash. Here are five budget-friendly home remodeling tips you should definitely consider.
Leave your bathroom as it is
- The first thing that you need to consider is to leave your bathroom equipment as is. The cost of moving sinks, tubs, toilets, and relocating duct work can really drain your wallet in just a blink of an eye. Unless your plumbing is old and needs to be replaced anyways.
- You can try different ways to give your bathroom a fresh new look instead. Add a decorative mirror, install colorful shelves for toiletries, or replace the tub with a new one without moving the plumbing somewhere else. This is a much less expensive way of remodeling your bathroom.
Spruce up what’s already there
- It can be tempting to rip everything apart just for the sake of making it look fresh and new, but have you considered of touching up the existing fixtures instead? Broken corners or chips in tubs can be easily fixed by filling it with fiberglass. For just $25, you can get a tube and tile refinishing kit to breathe new life to your tired looking bathtub.
- The same goes for bathroom and kitchen cabinets. Make them look new again by coating it with a fresh layer of paint. For just $75, you can get a kit to de-gloss, paint, and glaze your old looking cabinets and frames.
Spend wisely on expensive materials
- Installing an exquisitely looking counter top doesn’t need to be expensive. Instead of investing on a granite or stone slab, choose a more affordable material for your countertop. Then fill it with high-end colorful tiles to make the design as dazzling as it can. Your visitors will likely appreciate the design you got there.
The sun is your best friend
- If your home remodeling includes construction work, then use it as an advantage to install new windows. Light can improve your home’s look that’s why this is also very important. Install tall windows on the south part of your home to catch sunshine. Add a couple of operable windows on the north part too that can act as a cross-ventilation during summer. Add some sort of thermal mass too. Materials such as concrete, brick, stone, and tile can absorb and retain heat.
Reconsider recessed light furniture
- To save even more cash, consider having mounted or hanging light fixtures for your home. Having recessed lighting can cost a lot because of the labor involved just to install it on your ceiling. You can also pair those hanging fixtures with a floor or table lamp to create ambiance and atmosphere.